The Design School Southern Africa & Steele Model Studio Fashion Show
9th October 2010 at FTV Parkview

“Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, it's about what is happening.”
Coco Avant Chanel

 

 I’ve been bringing you all the latest trends, style and fashion showcased at The Design School Southern Africa & Steele Model Studio Fashion Shows! Now let’s take a look at Designers and Models behind the fabulous fashion and show sopping catwalks.
I’ve had an opportunity to interview Marinella Avvakoumides H.O.D Fashion Design at DSSA, as well as Mardo and Adel van Heerden the creative force behind Steele Model Studio.
In addition I also interviewed Corietha Steenkamp a student at DSSA - also Angelique & Karolina two of Steele Models Studio’s newest models to hear how this innovative idea has helped them on there path to success.

Interview with The Design School Southern Africa - Marinella Avvakoumides H.O.D Fashion Design


How has the DSSA in conjunction with Steele Model Studio fashion show motivated your students?

This has been a great incentive for students to push themselves a little harder. Now when they make something they have a goal. After the first show there was quite a buzz around the campuses and as soon as word got round, pretty much all the fashion students wanted to take part in the upcoming shows.

Who is the ideal candidate that would be a perfect student at DSSA?

A student who is creative and prepared to put in many hours of hard work. This student is also willing to go the extra mile.

What is the best advice you could give to a fashion hopeful trying to find his/her feet in this dynamic industry?

Never doubt yourself! Don’t design it if you yourself would never wear it!

If you think you have a creative flare and would like to be mentored by some of the best Lectures in SA the Go to http://www.designschoolsa.co.za/ for more info on DSSA and the courses they are offering.

Interview with Designer Corietha Steenkamp


Corietha is a student at DSSA and also showed her latest collection at the last The Design School Southern Africa & Steele Model Studio Fashion Show!

 "When something is your passion, nothing feels like work, when I find myself lost in the wonderful world of patterns, colors, textures, and everything creative, my devotion and passion makes me create my own masterpieces"

How has the Steele Model Studio & DSSA fashion show helped you?

The DSSA fashion show helped me to showcase my first fashion show, witch I enjoyed tremendously…“I can get use to this life”. I had so much fun working with the models and enjoyed the new world of fashion that I’ve never experienced before, being behind the scenes creates an amazing adrenaline rush which feeds your soul in a new and exciting way - the kind that makes you hungry for more! Now that The Design School Southern Africa & Steele Model Studio Fashion Show opened new doors for me into holding many more fashion shows in the future, I can just sit on the edge of my fashion seat and plan my next amazing collection.


Why choose Fashion, how did this passion develop?

I can’t say that it’s been a long time dream for me to become a fashion designer, but when the opportunity came along it was like destiny was knocking at my door. A family friend is a fashion designer and was responsible for introduced me to this amazing, colorful, furry, satin, lacey- world I’ve grown to know as the fashion industry. I took the plunge, and dived right into an application form from Polimoda Fashion College in Florence Italy. My Studies in Florence was amazing and it allowed me to dream like no other place on earth ever could. The real designer with in me was born and the rest was history!!


Do you think you have what it takes to be successful in the very demanding fashion industry?


Yes definitely, I think having my own dreams, on what my label “Corietha” should be, makes me unique. I’m a 1950’s girl at heart, and it shows when you look at my designs, every dress is unique in its own way; I only use selected fabrics for my playful, fun, colorful dresses. I like to combine my designs with vintage accessories that I love to find in old cupboards with interesting love stories behind every piece. I think that every creative profession is demanding, and depends on how you as designer focus your attention on negative and positive energy will determine what you accomplish. When something is your passion, nothing feels like work, when I find myself lost in the wonderful world of patterns, colors, textures, and everything creative, my devotion and passion makes me create my own masterpieces. I must confess I have always been one for a fast pace lifestyle, which might be why my dream is to become an incredible costume designer for the very movies I find my inspiration in and that can only be described as my one true love in life. After all “Who can resists the white pleated tight-wasted dress Elizabeth Taylor wore in” Cat on a hot thin roof” and that slimming elegant black dress Audrey Hepburn wore with effortless style in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. God has given me creativity as a talent and it would be a shame if I just shoved it into a dark corner! I belief that I was destined to share it with the world!


Where did your inspiration come from for the last “The Design School Southern Africa & Steele Model Studio Fashion Show”?


My inspiration for the show came from one of my favorite movies set in the 1950’s - Cat on a hot thin roof. I also draw inspiration from Nature, I grew up on a farm in Limpopo, and Nature has always inspired me in ways I never thought could be possible, when I started on the collection I decided to combine the 1950’s with Nature, the bold colors that is all around us made me think of all the beautiful patterns that is out there. When you see my collection I want you to get the feeling of put on a dress grabbing a picnic basket, sliding into a 1956 Jaguar roadster and go off to a good old fashioned drive in film.


 









If you would like a design by Corietha feel free to send me a mail!!
Interview with Steele Model Studio - Mardo and Adel van Heerden Owners of Steele Model Studio

What “makes” a Steele Model?

Everyone on this planet being connected to the modeling industry or not admires the same beautiful human characteristics that our model exude. The models from Steele Models are confident, beautiful and down to earth human beings.

How does Steele Model Studio prepare their new models for the dynamic fashion world?

The agency prides themselves in sourcing some of the best local talent and then shaping these individuals into confident young models. We have over the years shaped our model academy to provide international quality training to assist and train aspiring young models. The agency constantly strives to find new and exciting ways to challenge the industry and market our talent to an ever changing market. We also re-invest a lot of capital into our models and that is always a good business principle.

How did you come up with the monthly fashion show concept?

Both Steele Model Studio and DSSA are very passionate about growing the SA Fashion industry and creating opportunities for creative people. The fashion world - local and abroad is one of the most challenging industries to break into. Young models and designers face the same challenges and it just made sense for us to combine forces and create this new and exciting concept. Our wish is that this will eventually evolve into a ground breaking new platform that will showcase what SA has to offer in terms of fashion and modeling.

Would you say the fashion show has been successful so far?

Absolutely, we are fully booked at venues every time we launch the show. People love the vibe that these events bring to their party venues. We have so many people calling to enquire about when the next event will be taking place so they could ensure they are there.

Have you found any new faces at the fashion shows that could be considered SA’s newest top model?

Definitely, we have also started getting requests from the public sector on certain designer brands. Remember that these were all student designs!

Can other local hopefuls get an opportunity to partake in the Fashion Show?

Please do, talented young models and designers that believe in the vision of this project are more that welcome to contact us.

If you think you could be the next face of SA fashion or you’ve dreamed of becoming a runway model all your life then visit http://www.steelemodels.co.za/index.htm for more information on Steele Model Studio.

 Interview with Models - Angelique &  Karolina


Angelique

How has the Steele Model Studio & DSSA fashion show helped you?

First of all the show has really given me tons of confidence which I had hidden away, and it was the perfect opportunity to crawl out of my shell and grow as a person. Secondly, although ramp modeling is reserved for the taller models, it gave me the opportunity to experience that side of modeling, which I really enjoyed, and hope to experience again in the near future.
A huge bonus she said: “I’ve also made plenty of new friends that have the same passion as I have for the industry.”

Why choose modeling, how did this passion develop?
My passion for modeling simply developed out of my love for fashion, from a young age I enjoyed dressing up in cute outfits and high heels, wearing make-up and doing different things with my hair. Modeling makes me feel confident about myself, and it has taught me that beauty comes in different shapes and sizes, ages and nationalities, and that every individual has their own unique beauty that will attract people to them.
Do you think you have what it takes to be successful in the very demanding fashion industry?
I would like to think so. Unfortunately it is a very demanding industry and it often gives off the impression that if u don't match a certain criteria, it won't be possible to be successful, but there are so many models that have risen against that criteria and have become excellent and well known models despite them lacking certain qualities that would define ‘The perfect model'.  I have been encouraged to not focus on the qualities that I lack, but to focus on those that can make me the best possible model that I can be, and to already have in my mindset that I CAN be a great and successful model.
What is your beauty or work out secrets?
Drinking lots of water really makes your skin glow and look healthy. Eating a proper breakfast and a healthy supper consisting of fruit, veggies, chicken or fish gives u lots of energy, keeps you healthy and keeps the weight off.  Most importantly, if u feel good on the inside you'll look good on the outside, so surround yourself with positive people.  Learn to accept compliments from others and to see all the good qualities about yourself and you'll feel more beautiful than ever!

Karolina
How has the Steele Model Studio & DSSA fashion show helped you?
Well the show has definitely given me exposure to the 'outside' world and let me see how I act in front of an audience, thus seeing how I can keep on bettering myself as a potential “supermodel” It has also given me the opportunity to wear unique designs and to be in the position of actually   “strutting” an outfit down the runway...
Why choose modeling, how did this passion develop?


Ha-ha! That's actually a good question, I have always “loved strutting my stuff”, but to be more specific, I feel it is an exciting, yet tough career path to choose... I have always wanted a challenge in life, since I am a go-getter!!!! My passion developed when I looked at supermodels like Heidi Klum and Tyra Banks. I feel comfortable and most important CONFIDANT when I am walking down the runway.
  Do you think you have what it takes to be successful in the very demanding fashion industry?


The most important characteristic that any model should possess is ATTITUDE otherwise you'll never make it out there! Definitely, I have what it takes to be a supermodel, because I consider myself to having a unique look, lots of attitude and confidence! I think that I stand out from the others, because I have a gut feeling that this career I’m perusing will be successful!!! Unfortunately in SA one should always have a back-up plan...!

What is your beauty or work out secrets?

The most important beauty secret that works is DRINKING LOTS of water and eating a healthy diet (not a “weight loss” diet!). Exercising regularly is also essential in order to keeping your body   toned and healthy! It's also all in the mind... being positive and happy also contributes to a healthy self-image! But my TOP TIP: Never sleep with make up on and always use a face cream with a minimum SPF of 12.

Fabulous Fashion Featured at The Design School Southern Africa & Steele Model Studio Fashion Show!














For all the Photos featuring the talented designer and models of The Design School Southern Africa & Steele Model Studio visit my web album at: http://micurl.com/mhdtayp
Special Thanks To
The Design School Southern Africa
Pta: 012 346 5057 Jhb: 011 786 7501
enquiries@designschoolsa.co.za

Steele Model Studio
Pta: 012 665 3534
adel@steelemodels.co.za

Photographer: Basil Koufos
082 439 2022

FTV Parkview
Pta: 012 992 6080
ftv@glenvillage.co.za
Contas Premium
Compartilhe este filme: :

Post a Comment

 
Support : Baixartemplatesnovos.blogspot.com
Copyright © 2012-2014. Fashion and Beauty Tips - todos os direitos reservados para

CINEHD- o melhor site de filmes online